A fire on any day is bad, but a fire on Christmas is the worst. Christmas trees can catch on fire with electrical problems the most common culprit. Following these simple steps will help make your holiday season “Merry and Bright.”

  • When you buy your tree, make a fresh cut at the bottom; this will help the tree drink so it won’t dry out.
  • Make sure your lights are safe and carry certification from a testing laboratory.
  • Don’t use electric lights on a metal tree.
  • Discard any strings of lights that are frayed or broken.
  • Unplug your Christmas tree before you leave or go to bed.
  • Don’t buy a tree that is dry and dropping needles.
  • Make sure your tree stand holds plenty of water and don’t let it run out.
  • If you buy an artificial tree, make sure it is fire-retardant.
  • Keep your tree at least 3 feet from furnaces, radiators, and fireplaces.
  • Do not place the tree where it may block exits.
  • Keep a close eye on small children when they are around the tree; many small decorations/ornaments are sharp, breakable, and can be easily swallowed. Watch your pets too!
  • Remember that the following plants are poisonous and they can make your small children and pets Sick: holly, amaryllis, and poinsettias. Also, if you haven’t changed the battery in your smoke detector, now’s the ideal time to do so! Keep a fire extinguisher and first aid kit readily available.

These are just a few tips to keep you and your loved ones safe over the holidays.


Puget Sound Chapter NECA

Monday Morning News

November 30, 2009

Scroll to Top