Valued Clients and Blog Subscribers:
In light of the governor’s proclamation on March 23, 2020, we anticipate a number of your workers will be required to travel and to perform maintenance, tasks, services or other construction-related work on various of your ongoing projects. Therefore, we recommend that you provide those workers with an authorization letter (“Hall Pass”) along the following lines:
To whom it may concern,
[insert name] is employed by [firm] as [title]. [Firm] is a construction firm engaged in [operations, inspection, maintenance] of construction projects in areas of [essential infrastructure, essential maintenance and operation of transportation projects, defense projects…as applicable] as follows:
[Describe project types generally.]
As part of [firm]’s support of such [essential infrastructure, transportation, utility maintenance] projects, [insert name here] must perform field activities at [name project site(s)] in order to perform the following anticipated tasks: [list tasks, including dates if possible.]
During any time away from home, [insert name] is instructed to comply with the following “Social Distancing” requirements:
- Maintaining at least a six–foot social distancing from other individuals;
- Washing hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds as frequently as possible, or using hand sanitizer;
- Covering coughs or sneezes (into the sleeve or elbow, not hands);
- Regularly cleaning high–touch surfaces; and
- No shaking hands.
- In addition, [insert name] is advised by [firm] to avoid gatherings of other individuals on any project site or during any field activity of more than [insert number] persons.
If you have any questions regarding this Authorization please contact [firm]’s [CEO, COO or In–House counsel]
[Firm]’s [CEO, COO, or In–House Counsel]
Ensure that all employees are instructed to adhere to the following guidelines:
- Keep this authorization letter on your person or securely in your vehicle;
- Each employee is to have a company name tag and picture ID in their possession while traveling or at the job site;
- Be prepared to present your company name tag or picture ID to any government official or law enforcement agent requesting authorization to travel, along with this authorization to travel letter;
- Do not copy or disseminate to others. This authorization authorizes you and no one else. Do not post this letter of authorization on social media.
You can download a template for the Hall Pass here.