Insurance Companies Score Win at Supreme Court – Mason Fletcher & Ryan Sternoff
In 2011, the Washington State Department of Transportation (“WSDOT”) contracted with Seattle Tunnel Partners, a joint venture of Dragados USA and Tutor Perini (“STP”) to …
Upcoming Seminar: Lien and Bond Claims for Electrical Contractors
Ahlers Cressman & Sleight PLLC attorney Ryan W. Sternoff will be presenting a course entitled Lien and Bond Claims for Electrical Contractors: Protecting Your Payment …
Attorney Ryan W. Sternoff’s ABC Course on Subcontract Issues
Ahlers Cressman & Sleight PLLC attorney Ryan W. Sternoff will be presenting a course on Subcontract Issues as part of the Associated Builders and Contractors …
Ryan W. Sternoff is a Member at Ahlers Cressman & Sleight PLLC, where he focuses his practice on representing owners, property managers, developers, general contractors, subcontractors, and suppliers in construction and real estate matters.
Mr. Sternoff’s experience extends to representing clients in the drafting and negotiation of a wide array of construction and real estate contracts, and in representing clients in the prosecution and defense of claims in state and federal court, and private arbitration. He is admitted to practice in Washington State, and in the United States District Court, and Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Washington.
Mr. Sternoff has been named a “Rising Star” by Washington Law & Politics Magazine and Super Lawyers Magazine, for 10 consecutive years from 2010 to 2019, and has been selected as a Super Lawyer every year since 2020.
- J.D., cum laude, Seattle University School of Law, 2005
- B.A., Political Science, with honors, University of San Diego, 2002
Publications & Speeches
- Author, Scheduling and Delay, Suspension of Work, and Acceleration, Washington Construction Law Deskbook (2018)
- Author, Subcontract Issues, Washington Construction Law Deskbook (2018)
- Author, Discussion of Changed Work Results in Waiver of Contract’s Written Change Order Requirements; Contractor Can Lien for Extra Work, Construction Claims Monthly (2014)
- Author, Protecting Your Company’s Financial Interests During Tough Times, AGC Works: Associated General Contractors of Washington Newsletter (2009)
- Speaker, Electrical Contracting Dispute Avoidance, National Electrical Contractors Association General Membership Meeting (2022)
- Speaker, Subcontracting Fundamentals for the Electrical Subcontractor: Understanding the Issues and Protecting Your Bottom Line, National Electrical Contractors Association (2022)
- Speaker, COVID-19 Update: Impact of COVID on Construction Industry, Contracts, Drafting, and Claims, 28th Annual Washington Construction Law Update – The Seminar Group (2021)
- Speaker, Construction Lien and Bond Claims in Washington: How to Get Paid! Associated Builders and Contractors (2021)
- Speaker, 2020 Legal Action Training Series: Subcontract Issues, Associated Builders and Contractors Association (2020)
- Speaker, Construction Law for the NECA Superintendent, National Electrical Contractors Association (2019)
- Speaker, Contracting and Scheduling Delays, Associated Builders and Contractors (2019)
- Speaker, Subcontract Issues, WSBA Construction Law Section Midyear Meeting and CLE, Washington State Bar Association (2018)
- Director, Associated Builders and Contractors of Western Washington
- Chair, Legal Action Committee – Associated Builders and Contractors of Western Washington
- Member, Washington State Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, King County Bar Association
- Member, WSBA Construction Law Section
- Member, WSBA Real Property, Probate and Trust Section
- Member, Associated Builders and Contractors
- Member, ABA Forum Committee on Construction Industry
- Member, King County Bar Association Judicial Screening Committee (2011-2015)
- Represented general contractor on claim against owner for wrongful termination of a construction contract, before construction work had begun. Prevailed in private arbitration, and successfully collected the full amount the arbitrator’s award for lost profits on unperformed work, attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Represented GC/CM challenging termination for convenience during preconstruction on $1.4 billion GC/CM public works project. Obtained injunctive relief precluding owner from procuring replacement GC/CM, resulting in significant settlement.
- Representation of a large regional developer and homebuilder, as general outside counsel, on various transactional and litigation matters related to dozens of projects throughout Washington State.
- Representation of a large regional commercial real estate firm in matters related commercial real estate property management.
- Represented Condominium Owners’ Association against general contractor in arbitration involving seven-figure defect claims. Obtained significant settlement prior to arbitration.
- Representation of a mechanical contractor in pursuit of claims for change orders on a public-school project. At arbitration, awarded damages for additional work and attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Represented the seller in a $27 million corporate acquisition of a marina and real property located in Point Roberts, Washington.
- Represented electrical subcontractor in the pursuit of delay claims and a construction lien claim against the general contractor and owner, relating to the construction of an international hotel chain in Bellingham, Washington. Significant settlement obtained at mediation.
- Represented heavy civil contractor on design-build project in pursuing breach of contract and professional liability claims against its joint venture design partner. Multi-million-dollar settlement achieved before trial.
- Pro Bono Attorney, King County Bar Association, Housing Justice Project (2007-2012)
- Externship, The Honorable Anthony P. Wartnik, King County Superior Court