Ahlers Cressman & Sleight PLLC attorney Ryan W. Sternoff will be presenting a course entitled Lien and Bond Claims for Electrical Contractors: Protecting Your Payment …
Ahlers Cressman & Sleight PLLC attorney Ryan W. Sternoff will be presenting a course on Subcontract Issues as part of the Associated Builders and Contractors …
For nearly 20 years, Lockheed Martin has been working on developing a “Hybrid Airship” that may transform the ability to construct facilities in remote project …
Ryan W. Sternoff is a Member at Ahlers Cressman & Sleight PLLC, where he focuses his practice on representing owners, property managers, developers, general contractors, subcontractors, and suppliers in construction and real estate matters.
Mr. Sternoff’s experience extends to representing clients in the drafting and negotiation of a wide array of construction and real estate contracts, and in representing clients in the prosecution and defense of claims in state and federal court, and private arbitration. He is admitted to practice in Washington State, and in the United States District Court, and Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Washington.
Mr. Sternoff has been named a “Rising Star” by Washington Law & Politics Magazine and Super Lawyers Magazine, for 10 consecutive years from 2010 to 2019.
- J.D., magna cum laude, Seattle University School of Law, 2005
- B.A., Political Science, with honors, University of San Diego, 2002
Publications & Speeches
- Author, Scheduling and Delay, Suspension of Work, and Acceleration, Washington Construction Law Deskbook (2018)
- Author, Subcontract Issues, Washington Construction Law Deskbook (2018)
- Author, Discussion of Changed Work Results in Waiver of Contract’s Written Change Order Requirements; Contractor Can Lien for Extra Work, Construction Claims Monthly (2014)
- Author, Protecting Your Company’s Financial Interests During Tough Times, AGC Works: Associated General Contractors of Washington Newsletter (2009)
- Speaker, Subcontract Issues, WSBA Construction Law Section Midyear Meeting and CLE, Washington State Bar Association (2018)
- Speaker, Construction Scheduling and Delays, National Electrical Contractors Association, Cascade Chapter Meeting (2016)
- Speaker, Construction Scheduling: Tricks, Traps and Ploys Used in Construction Scheduling, Lorman Education Services (2014)
- Speaker, Change Orders in Washington, Lorman Education Services (2014)
- Speaker, Liens, Bonds, and Insurance for Contractors, Associated Builders and Contractors (2013)
- Speaker, Lien & Bond Claims in Washington State, Management Seminar: Liens & Bonds, Associated Builders and Contractors (2012)
- Speaker, Construction Bonds: A Surety Perspective, Surety Association of Washington Luncheon (2010)
- Speaker, Management Seminar: Liens & Bonds, Associated Builders and Contractors (2010)
- Speaker, Good Documentation Practices and Maintaining Good Customer Relations, Associated Builders and Contractors (2009)
- Speaker, Filing Requirements for Construction Liens and Bonds in Washington State, Associated Builders and Contractors: Lien and Bond Seminar, Associated Builders and Contractors (2008)
- Member, Washington State Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, King County Bar Association
- Member, WSBA Construction Law Section
- Member, WSBA Real Property, Probate and Trust Section
- Member, Associated Builders and Contractors
- Member, ABA Forum Committee on Construction Industry
- Member, King County Bar Association Judicial Screening Committee (2011-2015)
- Represented general contractor on claim against owner for wrongful termination of a construction contract, before construction work had begun. Prevailed in private arbitration, and successfully collected the full amount the arbitrator’s award for lost profits on unperformed work, attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Represented GC/CM challenging termination for convenience during preconstruction on $1.4 billion GC/CM public works project. Obtained injunctive relief precluding owner from procuring replacement GC/CM, resulting in significant settlement.
- Representation of a large regional developer and homebuilder, as general outside counsel, on various transactional and litigation matters related to dozens of projects throughout Washington State.
- Representation of a large regional commercial real estate firm in matters related commercial real estate property management.
- Represented Condominium Owners’ Association against general contractor in arbitration involving seven-figure defect claims. Obtained significant settlement prior to arbitration.
- Representation of a mechanical contractor in pursuit of claims for change orders on a public-school project. At arbitration, awarded damages for additional work and attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Represented the seller in a $27 million corporate acquisition of a marina and real property located in Point Roberts, Washington.
- Represented electrical subcontractor in the pursuit of delay claims and a construction lien claim against the general contractor and owner, relating to the construction of an international hotel chain in Bellingham, Washington. Significant settlement obtained at mediation.
- Represented heavy civil contractor on design-build project in pursuing breach of contract and professional liability claims against its joint venture design partner. Multimillion-dollar settlement achieved before trial.
- Pro Bono Attorney, King County Bar Association, Housing Justice Project (2007-2012)
- Externship, The Honorable Anthony P. Wartnik, King County Superior Court